While at Rumfest 2014, my preference was to sample each rum neat – straight up! However, lured in by the festive atmosphere in Bacardi’s authentic looking rum shack made out of aged galvanized sheets, couldn’t resist tasting the three new Bacardi rum cocktails created specifically for Rumfest 2014 by three top London bartenders. These three Bacardi rum cocktails included:
PHONENIX DAIQUIRI: by Bartender: Rob Libecans/Bar: White Lyan
• Smoked Barrel Stave Pomegranate Oil
• Citric Acid
• Mineral Sugar
• Bacardi Gold Rum: A light gold rum with soft oak, rich vanilla and buttery caramel notes.
BLACK BUTTER by Bartender: Rich Woods/Bar: Duck and Waffle
• Cherry Bark
• Cola & Toffee
• Popcorn Reduction
• Bacardi Black Rum: A medium bodies black rum that is bold and intense in flavour; matching perfectly with intensely flavoured mixers.
BARCARDI 8 PBJ by Bartender: Monica Berg/Bar: Pollen Street Social
• Fresh Lime
• Norfolk Raspberry Cordial
• Bacardi 8 year Old Rum: A complex gold rum that is deep, layered and mellow adding depth to dark rum cocktails.
So which was my favorite? Well all three cocktails were simply delicious, but the Phoenix Daiquiri gets the top prize! Sure the smoky presentation for the Phoenix Daiquiri made it stand out, but what really won me over was the rich flavors in the rum coupled with the pomegranate oil. Such a wonderful combination!